• Leman Russ DIY Progress

I made a start on the camouflage last night using a couple of Tamiya paints - Desert Sand for the basecoat, and Olive Drab for the green camouflage pattern. The base coat was applied gradually with a lot of short controlled coats, slowly building up to a consistant color without obliterating the detail on the panels with too much paint. Fortunately the paint dries pretty quickly. I then masked up the areas of the tank that I wanted to stay Desert Sand with masking tape, making sure to press the tape around the surfaces so the paint can't get under it. Then the coats of Olive Drab were applied. When the paint had dried, I removed the tape, and voila! camouflage.

I can't stress enough though to spray in a well ventilated area, especially with the Tamiya paints. The chemicals in the paint are extremely strong, and very pungent. I sprayed in a room with two doors open (one to the outside world), and the fan on, and I was still trippy from the fumes. This stuff is seriously nasty!

I'll work on finishing up the camouflage on the main body tonight, and then it's onto detail painting. I've already started off painting the barrel, the aquila on the side armor panel, and the sandbags atop the turret.

No comments:

Post a Comment