• Pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter

Realising the Leman Russ was a little short on weapons without the side sponsons, I've dug up a spare heavy bolter from the heavy weapons team sprue, and I've started adapting it to fit on a pintle mount.

I had a look at real world mounts for .50cal machine guns, and tried to make my own. I constructed a holding box for the ammo box which I've attached to the side of the heavy bolter. I had to cut down the ammunition belt that was leading from the box, and I also removed the open box cover, and then reattached it to the side of the box so it's not sticking out. A couple of angled braces were attached to the bottom of the ammo tray, and these slip under the heavy bolter, and add support for the gun and the ammo box.

I've got to work on the upright support next which will probably attach under the bolter between the braces. I was to magnetize it though, so I can remove the bolter and have a searchlight on there if I want. I had seen some stubbers with the searchlight mounted on them which looked pretty good, but I'm wondering if it might look a bit stupid to have a giant Baneblade searchlight sitting atop the bolter. I do have the original Leman Russ searchlight which I could use, but I don't really like this sort of bladed mohawk thing that it's got going on. Perhaps I could trim that off?

No comments:

Post a Comment