• Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost [1]

Decided to do Lemartes for one of my Golden Demon entries this year. I really liked the model, and he's got lots of detail (not to mention similar to the awesome Legion of the Damned models). Oh and I'm getting tired of painting red armor, so black will make a nice change.

First thing, this model has a hell of a lot of flash on it. It took quite a while to hunt through the detail looking for bits of flash, and then carefully filing it off. The stuff on the shoulderpads was the worst, because your trying to file it, and not take off the moulded Blood Angels insignia at the same time.

I washed and scrubbed the parts extensively too, and I was still finding it hard to get the base coat of Chaos Black on. I'm wondering if my Chaos Black is perhaps too watery, as it is running out, and I've been prolonging it by watering it down. At any rate, after several coats it stuck nicely, and I applied a mix of Chaos Black and Regal Blue to the armor (as recommended in White Dwarf). Also I've tried using a wet palette for the first time, and so far it's worked great, keeping the paint mixes moist, so I was able to add Fortress Gray to the mix and do the edging on the armor plating. An extreme highlight of Fortress Gray was then applied to the armor.

The bone skull helmet, skull on the shoulderpad, and foot bones was based coated with Calthan Brown. I then applied Graveyard Earth, followed by Kommando Khaki, and then highlights of Bleached Bone. I carefully washed the pieces in a Devlan Mud/Badab Black combination, with a light wash of Leviathan Purple. When dried, I went back and reapplied the Kommando Khaki, Bleached Bone stages, with very careful final highlights of Skull White.

The crozius head was painted with Calthan Brown, then Dwarf Bronze. Shining Gold was then carefully applied, followed by a generous wash of Devlan Mud for shading. I then reapplied the Shining Gold, and final highlights of Burnished Gold.

The iron halo and respirator hoses was painted with Boltgun Metal, then washed with Badab Black for shading. Highlights were applied with Chainmail, up to extreme highlights of Mithril Silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment