• Warpstone Glow

 Here's my first go at doing warpstone glow - object source lighting effects - with the airbrush on a model. It's a little bit scary to do, because it involves painting the miniature to a reasonable finish standard, then very carefully spraying the lighting effect on the miniature with the airbrush.

Because it requires a lot of control of the brush, controlling the directional spray of the paint to hit the correct area, as well as balancing the air flow and amount of paint that gets atomised and blown out, I had a few practice runs on some paper first. You definitely want to practice controlling the paint mixing so you can do a very light coloring to get the feathering. You don't want to accidentally blast the spot with full color! Also draw some lines on your practice paper, and practice hitting those spots with the brush. Try varying the distance you hold the brush from the paper as well, and notice how that affects the intensity of the spray too. Once you've got it mastered, try it on the miniature.

I just took my time and carefully built up the glows using very light applications of color. Try to have an idea of how intense you want the glow to be, and whether it casts light off on nearby parts of the model too. Is it just a very slight glow, or does it cast light up under the head, or onto a shield, etc.

Once I'd applied the glow effect, I carefully went back and painted in the crystal using the brush, edging with Scorpion Green, and a Golden Yellow highlight, with an extreme highlight on the edges of the crystal using spots of Skull White.

I'm absolutely thrilled with how it came out, and its building my confidence more in using the airbrush. There are some excellent tutorials for airbrush usage by Ichiban on Youtube which are worth checking out if your just getting started with an airbrush. I can't wait to dig out my Ghost Knights and have a go at doing them now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hive Studios!

    I've spend hours tracking down the pictures you once uploaded of your screaming bell on the internet, and finally found the original source.

    Your painting skills are simply top notch, and the way you've painted the warpstone and glow effect, made it simply the most gorgeous (if I can use that) Screaming Bell I've seen so far.

    I really enjoy your blog and think its very generous of you that besides offering painting projects, also giving fellow painters tips and advice in how to improve their own painting.

    Any chance you could tell me what Airbrush you have used up till now?

    Please keep up the good work and looking forward to following your blog/site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I think it's good to give back some advice on techniques as that's the way I've learnt, through the generous wargaming community sharing advice.

    I've got an Iwata Eclipse Pro http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/eclipse/hp-cs/

    It's my second airbrush. When I started I had a pretty sad entry level thing that used a suction fed side container and single action trigger, and worked horribly. Lots of problems with picking up paint from the container. The gravity feed on the Iwata is brilliant - and the dual action control gives you excellent control over how much paint and air is blown from the airbrush. The difference between the two is the first brush was pretty much only good for base coating, and the second will give you enough fine control to paint blends, OSL effects, etc.

    A compressor is also a must have! I started with canned air, and quickly ran out. You tend to use up a lot just blowing the brush out for cleaning!

    Hope that answers some airbrush questions!

    ReplyDelete