• Aspiring Champion [1]

I'm working on an Aspiring Champion for a friends birthday. He's running a Night Lords Chaos army with city rubble style bases.

The model itself was pretty quick and easy to build, being a plastic model. There were some slight seams on the model to cleanup but nothing very arduous. I used some of the 40k basing kit to add some detail to the base which already featured some rocks and a destroyed Necron. I added some brass sheeting, and some sand and rocks.

I also tried sculpting on some bat wings and skull motif on the shoulder pad for the Night Lords. It came out pretty well, but the green stuff kept falling off the shoulder pad, so I gave up with it. I'll freehand a nice logo on the pad instead. I could have ordered some Night Lord pads in, but I have a bit of a time constraint with this model, so I didn't want to be waiting around for 2 weeks while GW ships the pads out.

The whole model was base coated with Vallejo black primer, then given a spray of blue mixed with black for a dark armor coat. I then built up some zenith all shading using shades of blue up to a bright shade in the top. Finally a spot color of purple was added as the armour will feature purple lightning radiating out of the sprayed highlights. The armor has also been given some highlights with Enchanted Blue.

The armor trim was painted with Tin Bitz, then Dwarven Brass, and given a wash of Devlan Mud. Finally it was edged highlighted with Mithril Silver.

The most fun part so far has been painting the mutated daemon faces on the armor - lurid pink isn't something I get to paint very often! Since I didn't have any Tentacle Pink (or whatever the equivalent is now), i mixed up my own pink with red and white, painted the daemon parts, then washed with purple wash. I then reset the pink again, and worked it up in progressively lighter shades.

I've still got a bit of detail work to finish, but I should be on track to have it finished for his birthday. It's a really nice model, and fun to paint. I don't usually do Chaos, but if your looking for an interesting model to do, pick this one up.


No comments:

Post a Comment