• Necrotect [1]

This Nekharan Necrotect was done for a friend's birthday present, and a bit of a nudge to get him to finish his Tomb Kings army. But also it was a lot of fun to paint something I don't normally paint. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, and hopefully he is too.

The model itself was pretty good, but not without the usual problems, some related to Finecast, others to do with the way the model was constructed. GW does a fantastic job sculpting lots of detail into their models, but some of the detail they're putting on is starting to become too fragile, and I think they really need to consider that better. Some bits flat out broke/fell off the model because of the Finecast, but the fact they were so fiddly and there was such a small amount of resin, made it impossible to reattach or pin the bits back on. Both hands broke off the mummy, and had to be pinned back on, which was incredibly difficult with such small points. But the end of the whip was so small, I literally could not pin it back on, nor would it stayed glued together, so I went without it. I still think it looks great, but it should be a problem that I don't need to worry about if consideration was given during sculpting. Switching to plastics might help with some of this, but I have had small fiddly details break off those as well - blood drops, small trophy bullets dangling from armor, etc.

The turquoise on the armor was painted with Hawk Turquoise, then washed with Druchii Violet, then reset the Hawk Turquoise leaving the wash in the darkest parts of the panel, or toward the bottom of the plate. Then I made some lighter shades of Turquoise and shades the plate up. The lightest shade was an edge highlight around the plate, to add some separation. I was going to do Jade on the mask, but I was having trouble sourcing paint as my local GW store always seemed to be closed at lunchtime, so I went with the turquoise instead.

The mummy's skin was painted in shades of grey, and dirtied up with Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade washes. I decided to put an OSL, and used a lime green paint in the airbrush to add some OSL to the face, particularly around the eyes and emanating from the mouth. The eyes were then painted in with Moot Green, and given a specular highlight with White Scar.

I also tested some of the new Technical paints - Typhus Corrosion was slopped onto the blade and left to dry, which left and dirty, gritty finish to the blade. Ryza Rust was then stippled over that to provide rusting on the blade. Some Runefang Steel was carefully applied to the sharp edge of the blade, picking out the chips in the blade, and some scratching.

No comments:

Post a Comment