• Iron Hands Captain [1]

Starting with the new plastic Space Marine Captain model, I cut the brush off the plastic head, and pinned it to an Iron Hands helm. I always wanted to do a brush helm, so I picked this over the Iron Halo variant. I also wanted to show some bionics on the model, but unfortunately there wasn't much else you could do to modify the model in this pose. I thought about replacing the arm with the hammer, but the Iron Hands parts only supply it in a right-handed configuration, so I stuck with the sword and gravity gun. As it appears that these new plastics are the way GW is headed, since Finecast seems to have bit the dust!, I hope they will start to make the poses a bit less static. Not much room for conversion!

I assembled the model, leaving the head off to paint separately. In hindsight it would have been easier to paint the body if it was left in bigger pieces too, particularly the cape. The model was primed black, then the cape and banner was painted with Naggaroth Night, washed with Nuln Oil. When dry, I painted on Naggaroth Night on the high parts of the cape and banner, working up to Zereus Purple, Genestealer Purple, and a final highlight of Lucius Lilac. The inside of the cape was painted with Celestra Grey, then layers of White Scar to get a clean white. The crenallated motif on the robe was painted with Abaddon Black. If i made a mistake, I could fix the white with Praxeti White.

The metallic golds were painted with Rhinox Brown, then Shining Gold, and washed with Agrax Earthshade. Then Shining Gold was reapplied, leaving the wash in the recesses, and a final sporadic edge highlight of Runefang Silver.

The black armor was touched up with Abaddon Black as required, then edged with Dark Reaper, and highlighted with Thunderhawk Blue.

The wreathes were painted with Caliban Green, washed with Nuln Oil, then Warboss Green, and edge highlighted with Moot Green.

The gravity gun and lanyard were painted with Celetra Grey, washed with Drakenhof Nightshade, then carefully painted with layers of White Scar. The green glow on the gravity gun was painted with Moot Green. I'm not sure whether to do some OSL on the gun yet.

The lapettes were painted with Wazdakka Red, washed with Earthshade Agrax, then highlighted with Mephiston Red on the edges.

I've nearly finished the model. I've got a couple of things to finish on the sword, the logo on the banner, and some detail on the back of the cape, and it's all done. I'm pretty happy with how this model has come out so far. The Clan Raukaan expansion is releasing this weekend, and I was hoping for some unusual rules for Iron Hands, but its sounding like they're changing it to be a Codex-compliant Chapter like any other. For instance, they now have Chaplains? And according to fluff they should have Terminator suits leading squads, but apparently that's been glossed over now. So a little disappointed there, but lets hope they've got some goodies still.

No comments:

Post a Comment