• Skyray

Started using the airbrush I was kindly given for my birthday last night. If your ever planning on painting a lot of large models like tanks, then this is a must have. This saved me tons of time. I could really quickly spray out the entire body in Tausept Ocre, then a light brushing of Vomit Brown. I started applying camouflage stripes to the body, which look great and were easy to use. I'm going to try applying the other camouflage color tonight. Now I did have a couple of initial problems, mostly to do with my inexperience with using an airbrush. They suggest the paint should be watered down to the consistency of milk. I think that might be too much. I was having problems picking up the paint, and it was coming out so wet it was taking quite a long time to dry, even when put under the fan. I'll also need to invest in some acetone for cleaning, as the acrylic tends to dry inside the airbrush quite quickly, and can cause blockages. Holding some acetone in another container, and using that to flush out the brush periodically and remove blockages.

Update: No real progress. Managed to complete the Tausept Ocre coats on the engine pods, but the airbrush became blocked up with paint from the previous night when I'd flushed it out with water, and clearly it didn't do a good enough job at cleaning it. So I had to flush it through with turpentine, then soak the nozzle and scrub the paint out. It's all sparkling clean again now, so hopefully I'll be back up and running for tonight's painting effort. The only thing is now I've used a lot of gas cleaning the brush, so hopefully I won't run out. Might have to look at getting a compressor, since $20+ cans of gas could get pretty expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment