• Hammerhead [1]


Started work on my Tau Hammerhead tank. Undercoating with Chaos Black spray saved me so much time, and made getting it to this stage much quicker. I've decided to try a desert camouflage scheme this time, similar to what's on the boxes. I'm slowly working my way over the hull, painting in the geometric shapes. Engines and gun drones still need their base colors put on, but the main gun is pretty much done, except for some fine detailing. Base coloration is Calthan Brown, followed by Tausept Ocre (Calthan Brown seems to provide a better undercoat for the Tausept Ocre), followed by Bubonic Brown.

Update: Continuing on the camouflage. The forward main hull is completed, and the camo is down both sides, over the wings, and starting to work forward over the main sensor pod and spines. Towards the rear, it is progressing over the upper engineering palettes, and around the turret mount. The camo is a mixture of Vomit Brown, Graveyard Earth, and Bubonic Brown patches. Highlights are Bleached Bone along the edges of sharp panels.

Update: Continuing with the camouflage across the hull. The engines have had their base coats completed, and aztec camouflage is being applied to the engines now. The base coats for the gun drones have been completed also. Some panel lines have been picked out further in Vomit Brown. The black components have been dry brushed with Adeptus Battlegray, and will need a wash of Badab Black to tone them down a little still. The various sensors have been painted: blue glass with Regal Blue, Ultramarines Blue, mix of Ultramarines Blue and Skull White, Ice Blue, followed by specular highlights of Skull White; red glass with Red Gore, Blood Red, mix of Blood Red and Skull White, Blazing Orange, and final specular highlights with Skull White.

Update: Painted some more camouflage over the engines, and the gun drones. I've been looking for a replacement hatch assembly for the top of the railgun mount. Checked with Bitz Box but all their Tau stuff is out of stock. Was thinking I might construct a new mount, and bash in part of a drone assembly. That would give me some suitably greebly detail, along with the drone eyes as sensors next to the rail gun. Could look pretty good. I'll investigate getting a gun drone pack today. Also painted in the site hatch windows, but discovered I don't have the decal sheets for the Hammerhead and Skyray, so I'm a bit stuck for Tau sept logos. So I've either got to freehand them (pretty difficult), or make some more myself using Illustrator (more achievable). So I might do that. I'll post up the decal sheet when its completed, if anyone wants it. Perhaps I'll make some different sept logos also.

Update: Tried fitting a drone into the empty turret socket. Fits okay, but will need to scratch build a collar to lift the drone more as I would like to see some of the greebly detail, and the drone eyes. I also need to cover over the propulsion unit at the rear of the drone disc. Otherwise, looks good and should fill the spot nicely next to the railgun.

No comments:

Post a Comment