• Night Goblin on Giant Squig

So even though I don't collect Warhammer Fantasy, I'm now painting a Night Goblin on Giant Squig. He's the entry for this month's Painting Klub competition at the Chermside store. I nearly wasn't going to bother, but I figured he was pretty cool, and I can always enter him in the Golden Demon this year. Clean up on the figure was pretty bad, with lots of mold lines in hard to reach places. The squig also need a lot of pinning, particularly to hold the other leg on, and I also had to mix up some two part epoxy to fill in the gaps along the seam between the body and leg. Next time I'm going to try green stuff finally. I've got a Mordor Troll that's going to need a hell of a lot of gap filling, and I reckon green stuff is going to be a lot less messy. The body was basecoated with Dark Flesh, then layered up through Tanned Flesh, and mixes of Tanned Flesh and Dwarf Flesh, with final highlights of Dwarf and Elf Flesh. Washes of Ogryn Flesh were applied. I may still use some highlights of Rotting Flesh to get that pale putrescent look to it. Careful washes of purple were applied into the folds of some of the skin around the head and mouth, and feet. The eyes were reset with Chaos Black, then orbs of Golden Yellow, with Bad Moon Yellow highlights were painted. A small black dot of Chaos Black in each orb completed the eyes. The gums were painted with Purple, and then lines of Purple and Skull White were applied. The gums were painted with Red Gore, then mixes of Blood Red and Skull White to get a pink, were applied as highlights to the raised parts of the gums, and a couple of increasingly lighter mixes were applied. The teeth were then basecoated in Calthan Brown, then lines of Graveyard Earth, and lines of Bleached Bone were applied, with the final cap of the tooth in Bleached Bone. The goblin's body was painted in my standard Ork scheme, but I used more Camo Green this time to get a brighter green mix.

Update: All finished now. Experimented a lot with using different colored washes to tint the metals, and the skin. Also tried dry brushing in Rotting Flesh to make the skin look really putrescent and cave-dwelling-like. I made up a cave themed base with some stalagmites. I'd like to go back and maybe add some piles of bones, but I'll have to do that later, since I needed to get the mini into the competition before the deadline. The GW guy reckoned I had a good chance of winning this one. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment